Not everyone enjoys hosting guests in their USF apartment, but if you're looking to do a bit of entertaining, then we've got you covered with tips on how to be a fun (and considerate) host.
The first step is to get planning
And the first question to answer is, 'what are you celebrating?'
- Birthday, holiday, end-of-term, any special occasion is worth making fun memories.
- If you want to party "just because," then there are literally endless ideas for hilarious, unique themes that will let your guests be truly creative.
The second most important thing to take into consideration is your budget. Remember, you can have fun and still not be financially irresponsible as a college student– you can have a blast without spending a fortune.
- While you should provide some refreshments, most people are more than happy to bring something to eat or drink.
*PARTY TIP* - if you need your guests to come bearing snacks and/ or beverages, it's so worth the extra time to speak to your guests individually beforehand and take care of figuring out who's bringing what in advance. It really does take a village.
Also, be a good neighbor
Unfortunately, you don't always luck out and get super cool neighbors. Some people need to work or study or get up extremely early, and they don't want anything to do with your party. Everyone's on a different journey.
- If you're planning a small get-together or an intimate dinner party, you should be fine. But if you want something a little more energetic without angry neighbors, see what the rules are about *responsible* events at your complex's swimming pool.
- In the rare event that it's too chilly to swim, what about your clubhouse, BBQ area, or dog park? As long as you're a responsible host, your apartment near USF should have an available spot for your shindig.
*PARTY TIP* - don't litter. Ever. Leaving behind garbage or recyclables is extremely poor decorum. And again, a lot of guests will help you with this task, if you ask nicely. An enormous part of being a good host is not leaving a mess, especially in a borrowed venue.
It's time to get down to clown
On the day of your event, you might be a bit nervous, but don't worry. Check your plan and make sure you have everything you need. If you've forgotten anything, the Party City near your USF apartment is over on Fowler Avenue, and it's sure to have those last-minute items.
- If you're feeling especially stressed, it's time to phone a friend. Hosting a bash should be fun, not anxiety-causing. People love parties, relax!
- Just be sure you have plenty of ice, cups, snacks, and music. Everything else seems to work itself out.
Some day-of advice for being a responsible, fun host:
- Don't let people drink and drive.
- Have plenty of water and nonalcoholic drinks.
- Don't litter!
- Say hello to everyone, even if you don't know them.
- Dance at least once!
- Set boundaries and gently enforce when it's time to go.
- Leave a clean scene.
The University of South Florida is known around the world as an excellent research institution – and has something of a rep as a party school as well. Do your part and throw a memorable event in your USF apartment without spending a fortune or upsetting the neighbors!
Keep following ApartmentsforBulls for more tips on how to enjoy your time in Tampa to the fullest!